There are three main components to the program: (1) content development activities, (2) capstone projects, and (3) personal development opportunities.
Content development activities
Each intern will work on a variety of core S&S tasks, such as the following:
- Podcast research: conduct background research for guest interviews.
- Podcast production: use Audacity to edit raw recordings and prepare podcasts for downloading.
- Blog tasks: assist our copy editors and section editors with basic blog editing, fact checking, etc.
- Blog writing: collaborate on a piece with a regular S&S content contributor/editor.
- Social media outreach: identify and connect S&S with individuals and organizations conducting similar work.
- Curricular development: create educational content to complement the S&S podcast and blog.
- On-campus events: work together with S&S to organize and host a sustainability speaker series on campus.
Each intern will develop a capstone project of her own choosing, which involves working with the Development Director to identify and complete a project that encapsulates the intern’s interests in sustainability and showcases her skills. Previous projects have included (1) developing educational modules to be used in conjunction with S&S podcast and blog content and (2) conducting a blog and podcast bench-marking survey and writing a report on the findings.
Personal development opportunities
Each intern will have the opportunity to customize her internship to help her develop desired skills and reflect on academic and career goals. Previous interns had access to mentoring from members of the S&S team, regular oral and written feedback from their direct supervisors, and online training on topics such as academic writing and college/graduate applications.
To apply, please send Caroline Huang [caroline.huang(at)merton.ox.ac.uk] your resume and a short cover letter outlining (1) your particular interest in S&S, (2) three issue areas that you would like to see S&S address, as well as a brief explanation of why, and (3) your preferred internship dates. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year. All applicants will be notified of the editorial team’s decision within two weeks.
Thank you for your time and interest. We look forward to hearing from you!